Senior Claims Specialist (Complex Claims)
What will the Senior Claim Specialist do?
Coterie is evolving its claims experience and we need a Sr Claims Specialist (100% Remote). You’ll be working closely with our Claims Leadership Team, assisting internal and external stakeholders. If you are a go-getter who has passion for commercial property and casualty claims and want to change the insurance industry, we want to talk to you!
- Develop and implement strategy to resolve Commercial Property and Casualty, General Liability, Property and Professional Liability claims of moderate to higher levels of severity and complexity, as well as volume.
- Coordinate and collaborate with cross-functional Coterie team members on process, product, project, insurance, and other global enterprise initiatives
- Investigate claim and review the insureds' and claimants materials, documents, reports etc.
- Identify and assess coverage issues, draft coverage position letters, and retain coverage counsel, when necessary as well as review coverage counsel's opinion letters and analysis
- Develop and implement strategy relative to coverage issues which correlate with the overall strategy of matters entrusted to the handler's care
- Analyze coverage and damages for purposes of estimating, assessing and recommending reserves
- Maintain a diary of all claims, post reserves in a timely fashion, and expeditiously respond to claims inquiries from insured, counsel, underwriters, brokers, and senior management
- Negotiate resolution of claims
- Assist in the development, shaping, adherence to, and execution of best practices
- Maintain vendors list for field investigators, appraiser’s, experts, fraud investigators and CAT alerts.
- Maintain contact and oversight with the TPA claim staff
- Work with underwriting on appetite selection, form development .
- Identify and review of each jurisdiction's applicable statutes, rules, and case law
- Analyze, and direct initial risk transfer, subrogation action, additional insured issues, and contractual indemnity issues, to ensure equitable contribution across all claim stakeholders
- Retain counsel when necessary and direct counsel in accordance with resolution strategy
- Prepare and present written/oral reports to senior management setting forth all issues influencing evaluation and recommending reserves
- Travel to and from locations within the United States to attend mediations, trials, and other proceedings relevant to the resolution of the matter.
Superpowers we are looking for!
- 7+ years of work experience at an insurance company and/or insurance claims loss adjustment service provider resolving property and casualty claims.
- Considerable working knowledge of insurance industry and insurance claims operations particularly around commercial property and casualty claims, policy construction, ISO Commercial BOP forms.
- Proper adjuster licensing in all applicable states.
- Legal concepts and processes knowledge base
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal), influencing, evaluation, negotiating, listening, and interpersonal skills to effectively develop productive working relationships with internal/external peers and other professionals across organizational lines
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to take part in active strategic discussions
- Excellent collaboration skills, self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Able to understand and synthesize day to day work within the team into trends, themes, successes and opportunities over periods of time
- Strong negotiation and persuasion abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal and client service skills
- Detail oriented and superior organizational skills
- Team player with the ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to work independently, with support, in a fast-paced, evolving environment
- Hands-on experience and strong aptitude with Microsoft Office
Extras that are awesome but not required!
- College degree (preferred)
- Previous experience supporting a business through explosive growth
- Quality Assurance (QA), Continuous Process Improvement (CPI), User Experience (UX/UI), Design Thinking, Lean, Agile, Project Management (PM), and/or Product Owner (PO) experience
- AIC and PTC designations a plus
What to expect!
Our hiring process generally consists of 3 phases.
- Phase 1: Qualified candidates will first meet with HR for a phone interview. This discussion is a high-level conversation to understand more about your background and interests and for us to share more about Coterie and the position.
- Phase 2: Selected candidates will then meet our Hiring Manager for the 2nd interview via Teams video. This interview is designed to be more detail oriented and allows you to learn more about the role
- Phase 3: Top candidates will receive an invite for our final interview series via Teams video. This series will include an experiential exercise project (provided in advance), 1:1 interviews with selected team members and a culture focused interview. The final series is roughly 1.5-3 hours in total but can be scheduled over a few days for flexibility.
What’s in it for you!
Coterie has excellent benefits for all full-time employees. We offer the following:
- 100% remote.
- Health insurance through Aetna (we pay 100% of premiums).
- Dental and vision insurance through Guardian (we pay 100% of premiums).
- Basic life insurance (we pay 100% of premiums).
- Access to flexible spending account (FSA) or health savings account (HSA) (for those using HSA eligible plans).
- 401K plan (up 4% match with immediate vest).
- Unlimited PTO and company paid holidays. We expect you to take at least 80 hours during the year not including paid holidays: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. We also encourage the celebration of personal holidays and important family events.
- Continuing education stipend.
- Perks/discounts plan access via Access Perks.
- A culture with a deep belief in intentionality, inclusion, and treating you like the professional you are.
- Formalized, universal mentorship via Coterie Core-Coaching program.
- The salary range for this position is estimated between 80,000-95,000 based on national data. Above midpoint considerations may be considered for candidates meeting all minimum requirements and/or extra experiences listed in the job description. Salary is based on internal equity; internal salary ranges; market data/ranges; applicant’s skills; prior relevant experience; degrees or certifications, etc.
Our HQ is in Blue Ash, Ohio (4455 Carver Woods Dr, Blue Ash, OH 45242), but we operate as a 100% digital business which makes it easy to work remotely as your role allows
Coterie is a business insurance startup that distributes flexible-term policies on our website and partner platforms. We value integrity, humility, passion, and intelligence. If you want to push yourself, promote social good, and re-shape a $200B+ market, we’re excited to talk to you.